You Might Be Found Partially At Fault As A Pedestrian For An Accident

If you are walking and get hit by a car, you will usually not be considered at fault. Pedestrians have the right-of-way and a driver who hits a pedestrian will likely be held responsible for the accident. However, in some cases, a driver might argue that you are partially at fault. If this is the case, you will need your accident to be handled by a personal injury lawyer.

Liability After a Pedestrian Car Accident

An individual is considered to be at fault for an accident if they contributed in some way to the accident occurring. This will be based on what actions would be considered prudent by someone in a similar situation.

However, there are some circumstances where both parties might be considered partially at fault. For example, you might be considered 10% at fault for the accident and the other party might be considered 90% at fault. If this is the case, you will need to speak with a personal injury attorney so you can make sure that the percentage you will receive in damages is higher than what the auto insurance provider would like to award you.

Why You Need a Personal Injury Lawyer

To prove that you are not at all responsible for the accident, you will need to speak to a personal injury who has handled personal injury cases involving pedestrian accidents. Your personal injury attorney will locate witnesses and begin interviewing them to gather evidence that you were not responsible for the accident. They will make sure that the eyewitness testimony will support your version of the events. 

Important Steps to Take

While your personal injury lawyer is investigating your accident, you will need to seek medical attention and follow all of your doctor's instructions. This will help you make sure that you have the diagnostic tests, bills, reports, and other forms of evidence that can prove that you are as injured as you claim you are.

By following the instructions of your doctor, you will be more likely to win your case because you will be able to prove that you did not contribute to your injuries. You will be less likely to be accused that you are not as injured as you claim.

Other Damages to Calculate

You must document your lost wages and other expenses as well. If you are not sure if you are properly documenting all of your lost wages, make sure to speak to your injury attorney about this.

Contact a personal injury lawyer for more information.